Why Residents Like Trash Metering
In a study by Public Policy Polling (PPP), our WasteZero Trash Metering™ programs earned extremely high marks for resident approval and satisfaction. Here’s why:
- Fairness: People pay for trash based on how much of it they throw away. Those who generate less waste no longer subsidize those who generate a lot—a fairer way to pay for trash services.
- Increased Control: People have more control over how much they pay for trash collection service. To reduce their cost, they reduce their trash and recycle more; they’re no longer tied to a “one-size-fits-all” flat fee.
- Convenience: People’s day-to-day routines don’t change. They purchase trash bags at their local supermarket or other retailer just as they always have. The only difference is the bag they buy.
- Simplicity: Unlike other complex and confusing programs, trash metering is easy to understand and easy to participate in, allowing busy people to focus on the things most important to them.
- Community Benefits: Trash fee savings can help prevent tax increases or cuts in services, freeing up resources for more productive uses, such as hiring more teachers, police officers, or firefighters, improving schools and parks, or building new community centers.
- Environmental Benefits: People appreciate a cleaner living environment, and WasteZero Trash Metering delivers—with dramatic reductions in greenhouse gas emissions; significant energy savings; and improvements in air, water, and soil quality.