To address fiscal challenges and extend the life of its landfill, the Town of Dartmouth MA introduced its PAYT program with automated recycling collection in October 2007. As a result, the Town reduced its trash budget by paying less in tipping fees and by selling its recycling. Now, the Town’s trash collection program is self-sufficient and runs independent of the general fund.
By the Numbers
- Population 34,000
- Median Income/Household $71,000
- Bag-based PAYT with curbside trash and dual-stream recycling collection
- 59% drop in solid waste tonnage
- 50% increase in recycling tonnage
- 150% increase in the recycling rate