When Ashland, Mass., kicked off pay-as-you-throw in 2006, the town reduced the annual base solid waste fee from $215 to $138.
Over the first nine years of the program, trash tonnage has dropped by more than one-third, and the recycling rate has nearly doubled. Town officials report no increase in illegal dumping with PAYT.
By the Numbers
- Population: 15,000
- Median Income/Household: $95,000
- Bag-based pay-as-you-throw with curbside trash and single-stream recycling collection
- 34% reduction in waste tonnage
- 88% increase in recycling rate
- $1,109,000 in disposal savings